Jason Persoff Snowflakes Photography
Photo credit: Jason Persoff
Photographer Jason Persoff has captured snowflakes like you’ve never seen them before, thanks to the recent Colorado winter storms and the culmination of 6-years of honing this particular skill. How does it work? You need to capture the flakes as they are coming down since processes such as sublimation causes them to lose their beautiful structure.

This means that you need to photograph everything outside during snowfall with an ideal temperature of between 10° – 25° F. Currently, Persoff is planning to build a budget-friendly studio to photograph these snowflakes. A black wool sock is used to make deleting the background easier in post processing, but surprisingly, no expensive equipment is used, as even his camera can be found for $200, pared with extension tubes, a macro lens, LED lights, as well as a ring flash.

Sale
Sony ZV-1 Digital Camera for Content Creators, Vlogging and YouTube with Flip Screen, Built-in...
  • 20.1MP stacked back illuminated 1” Exmor RS CMOS sensor w/ DRAM. Large aperture 24-70mm1 F1.8-2.8 ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T lens.Bluetooth : Yes...
  • Fast Hybrid Autofocus and Real Time Eye Autofocus and Real-time Autofocus tracking.
  • Side flip-out 3.0” LCD screen that also tilts up and down for easier to compose selfie shots

I think, like a lot of people, the shorter days of winter left me a little dreary. I saw an amazing photographer, Don Komarechka, who was taking snowflake photos, and I felt that was the next direction my photography should go in. It was a game changer. I [improve] each time and as such also feel a deep connection to nature,” said Persoff to FOX Weather.

Author

A technology, gadget and video game enthusiast that loves covering the latest industry news. Favorite trade show? Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.