Tech Forums

Go Back   Tech Forums > TechEBlog > TechEBlog Articles
Reload this Page Is technology changing our society?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old

Default Is technology changing our society? - 11-11-2010, 04:57 AM

Over the past few decades, technology and the media have been drastically changing the way our society functions. Our generation is becoming completely dependant on new technologies and the media. Yes, there are many positive aspects of the impacts that technology and the media are having on our society, but there are also an immense amount of negative impacts that these advances are making.
I think that it is great that technology is making it so easy for people everyday to access essentially any type of information they are seeking. The improving Internet allows people to type in a search, and come up with thousands of responses. I think that this tool is unbelievable and it allows people to gain knowledge fast and easy! Also, the media is an astonishing tool in our modern-day society. It has the ability to both “target a global audience” and “reach a specified group” (Lad 1).
But are all of these advances truly beneficial to our society? The Internet and media has become “a completely normal, if not vital, part of our daily lives” (Harvey 1). People are constantly glued to their phones, or televisions, or Internet. Our society has become so accustomed to the use of the Internet and takes the Internet for granted, that we don’t realize how naive we can be. Many people quickly believe anything they read or see on the Internet, giving us false information. It is easy to forget that media and sources on the Internet can be extremely “biased” and “news can be manipulated to influence the minds of the audiences” (Lad 1).
In addition to receiving false information, the affect technology has on us from a social standpoint is astounding. Because of everyone in our society constantly being “plugged in” to their media source (phone, television, iPad, Internet) people are actually verbally communicating less with one another. Because of texting, AIM, and online chatting, children are not learning how to be social with one another. “Children used to actually talk to their friends” (Stout 1). Now they type to each other. There are now worries regarding whether new technologies “may be changing the very nature of kids’ friendships” (Stout 1) because there is barely any verbal or “face-to-face” (Stout 1) communication. Because of the lack of physical interaction between kids, “today’s youth may be missing out on experiences that help develop empathy, understand emotional nuances, and read social cues like facial expressions and body language” (Stout 1). Also, texting between family members is a new means of communication. Johana Vincent “texts her children from her bed after 11 p.m. telling them to get offline” (Stout 2). I personally think that this shows how lazy our society has become. Instead of the mother personally saying goodnight to her children and telling them to get ready for bed she simply texts her children. I find that extremely impersonal, and unacceptable.
Technology and media definitely has a lot to offer and has greatly improved and changed our society, but when is it too much? Yes, technology and media has made our lives easy, but we as a society are becoming lazy individuals who do not truly communicate face-to-face with both our friends and family. I think that it is important for us to maintain a level of social interaction that does not completely revolve around technology and media.
Sponsored Links
(#2 (permalink))
Old

Default 11-14-2010, 06:15 PM

I completely agree with what you're saying. I believe that technology is a great thing and that has drastically changed the we interact and communicate with each other. Sure, it's made it easier and faster to communicate with anyone from virtually anywhere, but I feel as though the more we rely on text messages and Facebook chats, the less interaction we have others. This lack of interaction between people can affect the way their relationship develops no matter what the relationship may be. If we don't interact on a personal level we don't develop opinions and connections to the people around us and being disconnected can change the way we act and how we develop moral and value with respect to people. To me, this lack of personal interaction could lead to something much worse than just being lazy, which is also a growing problem (along with obesity) that has spurred through the advancement of technology.
(#3 (permalink))
Old

Send a message via ICQ to e_expert Send a message via MSN to e_expert Send a message via Yahoo to e_expert
Default hello! - 11-26-2010, 08:09 AM

Yes,technology is changing our life,I think it make our life more comfortable and modern!
(#4 (permalink))
Old

Default changing lives - 12-06-2010, 11:34 AM

It makes life more easier.
(#5 (permalink))
Old

Default 12-27-2010, 08:51 AM

Technology had definitely changed our lifestyle. It made the world much closer in terms of communication but people relied too much on it that even if your friends are on the local front, people tend to communicate through mobile rather than personal. But I guess it all depends on the person.Some people still prefer personal social interaction rather than using the technology.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Banned

Default technology - 01-28-2011, 10:08 AM

Definetely Technology have brought a big change in out society.
(#7 (permalink))
Old

Default Yes,, yes - 02-08-2011, 10:08 AM

Yes,

It's really a use ful thread for us.

Today is full technology life. Its very easy and helpful resources .

Thanks
(#8 (permalink))
Old

Default 03-16-2011, 03:18 AM

Technology and life like as"A little body often harbors a great soul".
(#9 (permalink))
Old

Default 03-18-2011, 04:16 AM

Technology is the lifeline of society. It has much influence on all of us.
Without technology this world would be like a Stone Age world.
However technology is also misused.
(#10 (permalink))
Old

Default 07-15-2011, 06:40 AM

Yeah, a great article. Right, technology has changed our society and our life so much.