Tech Forums

Go Back   Tech Forums > TechEBlog > TechEBlog Articles
Reload this Page How to watch HEVC/H.265 movies on LG samrt tv via USB drive

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old

Default How to watch HEVC/H.265 movies on LG samrt tv via USB drive - 07-11-2018, 06:10 AM

Having troubles playing HEVC H.265 video files on your LG Smart TV through USB drive? You are absolutely not the only one. Those issues may happen due to various kinds of reasons. Searching online, you will find there are numerous problems regarding to playing HEVC/H.265 content with LG Smart TVs. If you are in the same boat, just keep reading to learn how to get your LG TV playing HEVC videos smoothly.

Can't get my LG TV to play HEVC MKV files, how to fix?
"I've been using Plex for a while now, but now I want to direct Play HEVC MKV files on my LG TV because the Plex Media Server is too slow to transcode them to H.264. My TV includes HEVC x265 support, so I try to play the HEVC MKV video from USB drive, but it seems that my LG Smart TV doesn't recognize them at all. Why won't it play a file that it should play? Anyone else having issues with HEVC files on your LG TV? I can't figure this out by myself, can anyone help please? I would really appreciate any help."

To be able to directly play HEVC/H.265 video files on a LG Smart TV through USB drive, you need to match two things:
1) Firstly, your LG TV must have native support for HEVC H.265 codec, if not, you have to use a third party media player app like Plex;
2) Secondly, even if your LG TV has native support for x265, it must have limits on video specifications. For example, if your TV only supports HEVC video in MP4 container, then you shouldn't play a HEVC file in an MKV wrapper; if it doesn't support high bitrate HEVC video, but you try to play such a file, of course, it will fail to play. All the similar things will make your TV watching very painful.

If your LG TV doesn't meet the requirements to directly play your HEVC media, at the moment, the only workaround for using these files is to use an HEVC Converter for LG TV and export the files as the widely supported H.264 MP4 format, to play them later on your LG TV through USB drive.
How to encode HEVC/H.265video for direct playing on LG Smart TVs

Step 1: Import HEVC video files
Launch Acrok Video Converter Ultimate (Windows | Mac) and click "Add File" to load HEVC H.265 files that you want to convert into this program.

Step 2: Click "Format" to select H.264 MP4 as output format
To convert HEVC media to 1080p H.264 MP4 for playing on your LG TV via USB drive, simply select "HDTV" > "LG HDTV Video (*.mp4)" as target format.

If your source HEVC files come with 4K quality and your LG TV supports 4K video in H.264 encoded MP4 format, then you can click "Settings" button to modify video and audio parameters like encoder, resolution, frame rate, bitrate, aspect ratio, sample rate, and audio channels. You can also "Enable 3D Settings" to add 3D effect to your source media.

Step 3: Click "Convert" to start HEVC to LG TV conversion.
As soon as the conversion is complete, click "Open" to get the generated H.264 MP4 files for playing on your LG Smart TV fluently.

Other useful tips:
Blu-ray to Surface Go Converter | Watch Blu-ray movies on Surface Go
BMW Supported Audio/Music/Song Format - Play any music in BMW 1/2/3/4/5/6/7
Edit Nikon Coolpix P1000 4K MP4 in FCP/Premiere Pro/iMovie/Avid
iTune to Google Pixelbook - Play iTunes music and movies on Google Pixelbook
Final Cut Pro Supported Formats - Best editing format for FCP X, FCP 7 and FCP 6
Samsung Smart TV Supported Formats - Video and Audio
Blu-ray to Moto Z3 Play | Watch Blu-ray movies on Moto Z3 Play
Sponsored Links